Sunday, October 28, 2007

I applied for my passport

I applied for my passport
Earlier in the week I got a flyer in the mail saying that the post office would be holding a passport application fair.

I knew I'd have to get one eventually in anticipation of a trip north of the border, hopefully next year, so I decided to go there and apply there rather than send it all in the mail.

I brought all my documentation with me so I could document my citizenship (certified birth certificate) and my proof of identity (drivers license and certified copies of the name change judgement). I applied using my legal name and female.

The guy taking the application, never raised an eyebrow or ask any questions. He only wanted my birth certificate and the application. He did however give me a very penetrating look. I wonder how many transsexuals he has processed.

They also took the pictures there are well. I really wish I had put some makeup on first. What an ugly picture! Yeesh!!

Anyway, they said it will take about six to eight weeks to get a response. We'll see what they put on my passport if they do send me one. If they find a problem in the application there could be additional delays. I figure that they have to use my legal name, but I'm wondering what gender they'll put there.

As I left I realized something. The people who were taking applications were local postal employees. And at least one of them, if not all of them by now, know that there is a transsexual living in their midsts and what her address is.

Ah well, I may have outed myself in a big way, if these people gossip. No matter, some secrets cannot be kept forever. If it gets to my neighbors, I can only hope they are understanding.

-Sandy

No comments: