Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm still in the clouds!

I'm still in the clouds!
This past weekend I had a session with my therapist. I hadn't seen her in a couple of months as I had been moving into my house and time was a bit chaotic for me.

We spent most of the time just catching up and talking about what had been going on in my life. It was a pleasent session as most of them are. About halfway through the session, she asked if I was still going to pursue SRS.

"Absolutely!" I said.

Then she said; "Well, in that case, let me get some dates from you so I can put together the letter. And I'll contact the other councelor so you can meet her and get the second letter sent on to the Dr Broussard."

My jaw dropped! I was not expecting to start talking about my letters until I had completed my one year of RLE. What she said was that the Harry Benjamin guidelines are just that, guidelines. It is up to the therapist to evaluate the candidate for SRS and determine when they are ready to proceed. As she put it, having the guidelines work for the patient, not against them. So it's not necessary to be a stickler about the one year requirement.

I'm still walking around in the clouds. If I can get the letters on file soon enough, hopefully I can get the surgery scheduled in 2008 for 2007 prices.

But shaving six months off my wait to be complete is like a dream! That is just great.

I wonder how they say; "We're going to put you out now so we can intubate you..." in French Canadian? ;D

-Sandy

No comments: