Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Divorce

Well that phase of my life is over.

A couple of weeks ago the stbew…

By way of explanation, I used the term stbew to refer to Soon To Be Ex Wife simply to save me typing. Also I do not like to use peoples names in any context without their specific permission. In conversation with my SO she has given permission to me to use her nickname, piglet.

So…

A couple of weeks ago piglet came up and we went to the to our divorce hearing. We had finally agreed to all points and also finally got both our lawyers to get to the court at the same time.

Our proceeding wasn’t all that eventful as we had already agreed to everything. It was mostly just a matter of signing papers and making statements before the judge. There was an interesting moment, however. During the proceeding, one of the questions asked of piglet was to the effect of feeling that there were irreconcilable differences and that there was no chance of us getting together again. Piglet looks over at me and says “No, I think not!” To which the lawyers and judges start to giggle.

Actually she had a couple of retorts come to mind but responded with the most conservative answer. The others were “Duh, ya think!” or my favorite “It’s more a case irreconcilable similarities!”The rest of the proceedings were pretty straight forward with only a minor hitch that was quickly resolved.

So that is it. The divorce is now final and I am now a single woman. To a great extent the court proceeding is anticlimactic. Much of the splitting up has already been done and we have been living apart for months. There are follow up issues to take care of such as insurance and the last financial arrangements. But that is it.

We are still friends and have no animosity toward each other, but we are now officially on separate paths.

-Sandy

No comments: