Monday, December 31, 2007

An epiphany.

I had an interesting experience at church this past Sunday.

As we are still in the Christmas season, the readings regarded the birth of Christ and also spoke about the pregnancy of Mary and also Elizabeth, the mother of John the baptist.

I've heard these stories many times over the years, but for the first time as they were being read, I was overcome with a sense of identification with the women in the readings. It's a little hard to explain, but I felt community(?), sisterly love(?), something, when listening to the reading regarding the pregnancy of Elizabeth. I could empathize with her feelings much closer than I ever have before. And too in the discussion of Mary's conception and pregnancy, I could feel an empathy I never had felt before.

Prior to my change I never really identified with anyone in the bible, male or female.

It's not like I can get pregnant or anything like that, but I felt more... feminine(?) than I have before.

Interesting, and in many ways, gratifying.

-Sandy

No comments: