Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Work transition

Work transition
The person I initially contacted about transitioning is part of the LGBT diversity group. He has had an initial conversation with someone from HR and found out some interesting information.

The trans man and myself are not the first transsexuals to transition. There have been four previous ones. All have transitioned smoothly with no problems! Also they have already had a ruling from legal regarding restroom usage. Their policy is that there are x number of womens rooms and x number of mens restrooms. If a person has a problem with a transsexual using the restroom of the gender they are presenting then that person *not the transsexual* can simply use another restroom!

I am so pleasantly surprised and gratified.

Now I have to really think about timetables and things and some very practical matters like wardrobe and such.

So much has happened in such a short period of time I'm still trying to catch my breath. I'm quickly realizing that I don't have enough clothes to go full time. And I also need to be going out as often as possible to become comfortable with myself.

That presents an obvious solution! I'll go out to get more clothes!! Mall crawl!!!

Really though I have to be sane about this. Just because the company says I could transition next week, for example, means that I *should* transition then. Actually that would be a very bad idea. I really need to practice more. I need to be able to go out into the world with confidence about who I am and what I am. I'm getting there but it still takes time. The company sounds like they will be very accommodating and will allow me to move at my own pace. That is gratifying.

-Sandy

No comments: