Saturday, February 24, 2007

I jumped...

I jumped...
...and found out that giving your heart wings can allow you to FLY!

It was one of those days were everything, EVERYTHING, went right.

First off, Julie had found out about a wonderful charity gala she wanted to go and was about to buy a ticket. The cheap seat tickets that don't include a dinner were $75. The full ticket was $200. When she mentioned it to me, I remembered something. Turns out our company is a major sponsor and had some free full dinner tickets for the employees on a first come first serve basis. I managed to get tickets for Julie and myself. I was ecstatic, Julie was bouncing off the walls! We'll have more details on the party later.

What was exceptional is that I was asked what names to put on the invitation list. I gave Julies name and also my name, Sandra. So this is going to be a bit of a coming out to some select people from work. The idea that I would actually be among some of my co-workers as myself for the first time makes me dizzy with excitement. Like I said we'll have more details after the party. But I'm delirious!

When the time came for the meeting with HR I fairly floated up to the office. The HR person was a wonderful lady who wanted to know more about the transitioning process from both myself and the FTM.

We also gave her some background information about transgender diversity. She was extremely helpful and genuinely concerned about our process. She asked what the next steps were for us and how we wanted to proceed. She took a lot of notes. She asked if we would be available for additional meetings with others from HR. We both said yes. I talked about wanting to transition and not sure if I should change my name legally first, or to transition first then change my name. She said that either way would work for the company. It's just that when I get my name legally changed, there will be a lot of paperwork. She agreed that sounded like the best moves but first she would have to absorb some of the information we turned over.

So the next meeting will be in a couple of weeks to follow up with the information and any questions she might have. After that we'll be bringing my manager up to speed.

It's really happening!!!

-Sandy

No comments: