Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Who is that?" she asked...

The other day I was playing with my granddaughter. She'll turn three while I'm away. She is very smart, even if you accept that I am such a doting grandmother.

Anyway, at one point she looked up at the mantle over the fireplace and pointed to the picture frame I have there. She asked to see the pictures. I brought it down and we looked at them.

The frame was one of those multiple picture type frames and I have it filled with pictures of her when she was smaller.

One of the pictures was taken at the hospital when she was just a few hours old. Her mom and dad were posed together holding the new arrival.
I pointed to each of the people and asked her who they were. She got her mom and dad right, but she didn't recognize herself. I told her that the tiny baby in the blanket was her when she was very small.

She looked at it for a second and said "OK." And that was all, she accepted what I said and went on.

We looked at other pictures that had her and other people in it, like my ex spouse. She picked up on them just as quickly and also knew who she was in the picture.

Then she pointed to another picture and asked "Who's that?"

I took a deep breath and said "That's grandma Sandy when she was a boy and had a beard."

She looked at it for a second and said "OK." And that was all, she accepted what I said and went on.

I know that I'll have to go into more detail someday, but for now, she is tabular rasa and accepting of the world as it is with no preconcieved notions. And if we're lucky she and hopefully others of her generation will learn the same lesson and simply say: "OK." And move on.

-Sandy

No comments: