Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Sandy and the Insurance Agent

Sandy and the Insurance Agent
I was at my desk at work and my cell phone rings...

"Hello" I said. Since I'm full time now I never answer the phone as anything but me and my voice.

"uh Hi! Barry? This is John your insurance agent"

"Oh, Hi, John!" He had done a remarkable job in getting the loan against my life policies taken care of. Those policies paid for my FFS and BA. I was very happy with that.

"Oh I'm sorry, am I talking with *soontobeexwifesname?" Oh well, the cat is out of the bag now. Time to fess up.

"No, John, this is who used to be Barry. My name is Sandy now"

*long pause*

"uh Well! uh Hi uh Sandy!"

"Hello, John. I'm sorry, I should have contacted you sooner. I know this is a surprise. I've been full time for a couple of weeks now and I'm still trying to catch up on things."

"Yeah, well, uh, Sandy. Do you prefer to be called Sandy or Barry now?

"Sandra or Sandy, either one. I'm in the process of having my name legally changed and once that is done I was going to stop by and give you the new paper work."

"Yeah, all we'll need is a valid drivers license so once you get that then we can change your records here from Barry to Sandra. And I'll make a note here on your records that you prefer to be called Sandy."

"Well that would be great, John! Again, I'm sorry to have surprised you like that."

"Well, listen, Sandy, the reason I called was to make sure that everything went well with the changes to your life policies."

"Everything is fine, thank you so much for turning that around for me so quickly. I received the checks just a couple of days after we talked."

"Also I wanted to tell you that your auto insurance rates will be going down."

"That's good to hear, thank you!"

"Well whenever you have your name change papers or drivers license, stop in and we can get all your records changed."

"Thank you John, it'll be a couple more weeks yet, but I'll stop by as soon as I can after that"

"Well, take care, Sandy, and good luck! Your voice sounds so natural. I hope everything is going well for you!"

"Thank you, everything is fine. I'm so much happier with my life now."

"Well, good luck, and we'll be talking to you soon, Sandy, good-bye."

"Good bye, John."

It's getting to the point now where outing myself like that is *almost* becoming mundane. These little vignettes don't happen that often, but now I am no longer afraid of them. I'm proud of who I am and have no problem with these types of situations.

This one did something really great for my self confidence because he read me as female when he thought he was talking to my wife. And then he went on to remark how natural my voice was. That gave me a real boost because I'm still so sensitive about my voice. I worry that it's either the wrong pitch or there's too much resonance in it.

I guess it's coming along.

-Sandy (How do you get to Carnegie Hall?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You’re one of the few policy holders lucky enough to have found a reliable insurance agent! You really should be grateful for having him! It is not everyday that you’ll find an insurance agent who is concerned about their clients. Anyway, how’s your insurance now?

-Hershel Duffey