Monday, March 19, 2007

Cindy and the cable guy...

Cindy and the cable guy...
I worked from home today because the cable guy was supposed to come over and install the cable box.

I knew he was going to come by and there is no way I'm going to dress any way but as myself so I was a little nervous but determined.

I had just finished my lunch of reheated pizza when I heard a door slam. Damn! I didn't even have time to fix my lipstick!

He knocks at the door and I come downstairs. I take a deep breath and open the door and say "Hello!".

Everything is fine, no double takes, no eye blinks, nothing. No problem. I really have to stop worrying about that. Heck, even if he had clocked me, what's he going to say? I'm the customer! And even if he did, I'd kick him out and scream bloody murder to Comcast.

Anyway, I show him to the living room and Julies *huge* home made entertainment center. She is really good with woodwork.

I watch the guy for a few minutes and start thinking, I really have to get back to work. I was telecommuting to the office and needed to finish some work.

I tell the guy, that I will be upstairs working and if he needs anything just come to the stairs and call for me. "By the way, my name is Sandy."

Well, I'm upstairs working for about 45 minutes and I'm starting to wonder what is going on. I was about to go downstairs for a check when I hear him come to the base of the stairs.

"Cindy, could you please come down?"

Well, close enough, I wasn't going to correct him.

He was having a problem getting all the cables straightened out and there wasn't a proper signal going from the cable box to the TV. And he wanted some information about the setup to try and figure it out.

After a few minutes discussion, he started to try different things. I know it would have taken me about five minutes to hook the thing up, but I just sat on the edge of the couch and watched him work. It was partly me playing Sandy homebody and partly not wanting to do his job for him.

After about another fifteen minutes he finally got it hooked up correctly enough that there was a good signal on the TV and sound coming out of the speakers. After that he had some questions about what else was to be installed. He ended up having to call back to home base to ask some questions. When he got the answer he said, "Let me find out what she wants to do." That finally made me feel completely comfortable.

After that, then he had to hook up the other cable box in Julies office. This one went much faster and he was done about twenty minutes after that.

I signed the receipt and he packed up his gear and headed for the door.

As he left, he said; "Cindy, enjoy the cable and have a nice day!"

I said thank you and walked him out the door.

Well, I guess maybe I should change my name to Cindy after all...

-Cindy (just kidding!)

No comments: