Friday, March 2, 2007

I got my date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alright, then. It's been over 24 hours and Julie has managed to put enough bungee cords on me to keep me from floating off again.

Yesterday morning I was called into the HR managers office. We spent over an hour discussing the stage of my transition, how it would apply to newly revised company policy. Which I and another trans person, a FTM, contributed to.

She said that she would be meeting with my manager, the executive manager of HR and the head legal counsel to discuss transitioning in the workplace in general and myself in specific.

Needless to say, by that time I was just in heaven to hear about that much progress being made in accommodating transitioning in the workplace.

Then near the end, she simply asks, "So, Sandy, when do you want to transition, a couple of weeks or so?"

My heart skipped about eleventeen beats! After a lifetime of agony, here was this decisive, insightful, considerate woman, opening the main door of my life with such simple words.

Somewhere in there, my heart started back up and I started breathing again. I replied that there were some really practical matters to attend to before I could really go full time. The most major of these was the fact I, ahem, simply had nothing to wear! Well, almost nothing. Well certainly not enough. Actually I do need more business clothes. And shoes. I really don't have enough business shoes. MALL CRAWL!!!

So after some discussion April 16, 2007 is my official day of transition. My preferred name will be put into the system, though my legal name must remain until my name change goes through. I'll get new ID cards and new nameplates.

Also the company is making an official statement of the revised policy regarding transgendered in the workplace. Just like Gay, Lesbian, Ethnic, or Disabled, any harassment of me will qualify as a Zero Tolerance offence and will result in immediate termination.

There are so many others who will never transition because of medieval corporate policy. I feel so blessed and a little embarrassed by my good fortune. This is winning the lottery for me. I wish I could share my good fortune with every person who wants to transition.

I still have to remind myself to breathe...

-Sandy (45 days and counting!)

No comments: