Monday, March 19, 2007

We are all daughters of Christine Jorgensen

We are all daughters of Christine Jorgensen
I was just thinking that today.

All of us who are in whatever state of transition, pre/post/non-op, all have a direct connection to her.

Without her groundbreaking appearance and quite notable arrival, I would still be barry. You would still be who you are.

Now Christine was not the absolute first transsexual to transition in modern society. However, she was the first to use HRT.

Also she was the first to be vocal in the describing transsexuality as something that wasn't a perversion and something that needed to be addressed. In other words she blew the door off the closet when she came out!

Because of her, I am becoming who I was always supposed to be. I will start living my life and stop dieing in a lie.

We cannot hope to repay that debt that she and other transsexuals are owed. The only other thing to do then is to pay it forward.

I have been blessed with an almost painless transition at work and in society because of her actions.

I cannot take these blessed gifts and not attempt to pass them on.

I choose to become an advocate much like Christine and others have done. In some way be a roll model for others to show that transitioning *is* a miracle and there is real life after transitioning.

I hope that in some small way, what I do will help someone else.

That is the only way I can help repay that debt.

And in that way earn the right to call myself a daughter.

Of Christine Jorgensen

-Sandy

No comments: